I Offer ONE Service and Do It Extremely Well
Professional Mixing and Mastering
How Can I Help You?
Mixing is the art of blending many tracks into a sound recording that best transmits the song to your listeners. In fact, a common listener might never even notice a good mix due to the amount of attention that went into the process – the song and performance will be the focus of their listening. Read more about the importance of the various stages of record production to make sure you are ready to move onto the mixing stage – if you are, then I’ll happily help take the production to the next level.
This is the general process I go through when approaching a mix:
- I review the materials and notes submitted by the artist. I listen to the rough mix only once or twice at this stage to remain unbiased and approach the mix with a fresh perspective.
- I then organize the session according to my ideal workflow and familiarize myself the tracks and various parts of the production.
- I’ll get a basic mix of panning and levels, and then begin to hone in on the driving force behind the track. This is often the drums, but varies by production. I then define sounds using EQ, Compression, Limiting, Transient Modulation etc… Sounds are tweaked to sound their best according to function in the mix.
- The vocals receive special attention. A lead vocal, in addition to being tonally and dynamically shaped, will generally have each word judiciously tuned, each sibilant automated, and breath levels controlled.
- I then decide on complimentary spacial effects for tracks create automated aux sends to help define depth of the track and give each section a unique and appropriate feel and space.
- Track levels are automated to be brought out when they need to be featured, or to lay back and support the track. Vocals are ridden to be right on top of the track and to ensure that no words become buried. Levels of the track as a whole are also dealt with to create a dynamic feeling over the course of the song.
- I’ll then reference the rough mix once again and note any differences which could be incorporated. References are checked against the mix to ensure a relative similarity in tone and level. The track is pre-mastered in order to bring the level up to an appropriate commercial loudness level for the genre and enhance the track further. When possible, I like to come back to the mix the next day, and make further tweaks with a fresh perspective.
Of course each production calls for different techniques, processing, and workflow which are customized for each song.
I take a pro-active approach to mixing and believe there is no harm in trying something out. If you or I have an idea that may not work out well in the mix – let’s try it out! It’s just as easy to mute the track if it doesn’t make musical sense, but we don’t want to miss out on discovering a cool sound.
It is recommended to use a dedicated mastering engineer after the process, but is also provided in-house for no additional charge.
My training, equipment, experience, and musical intuition are the key factors. When combined with your original talent and performance skills, we can create music worth listening to.
Why Hire a Mix Engineer?
I believe that the HOW is far less important than the WHY.
Sound good…so how much?
Click here to Request a Quote and find the right mix offer for your needs. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how affordable achieving a quality mix can be and should be considered a necessary step in furthering your musical career.